Job title: Senior Public Health Evaluation Advisor
Location: Based in Maseru
Primary Manager: Associate Director, Public Health Evaluations
The Senior Public Health Evaluation Advisor will directly be responsible for the development of evaluation protocols under the USAID PUSH project, lead and coordinate the evaluation activities, analyze and interpret collected data and lead in interpretation and reporting of evaluation findings. S/he will supervise other junior staff and oversee all evaluation activities carried out under the PUSH project. The Advisor will contribute 100 % time and effort to work with investigators and other research staff at the Foundation to ensure that protocols, data collection tools, relevant SOPs and related documents needed for carrying out the evaluation are developed, reviewed, tested and approved in a timely manner.
The Advisor, under the supervision of the Associate Director of Public Health Evaluations, will participate in capacity building through training and mentoring of junior evaluation staff; in addition, s/he will periodically communicate directly with local and US-based investigators to provide updates on evaluation progress and challenges and where necesary device appropriate remedial actions to problems encountered by the evaluation team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop evaluation protocols to assess key outcomes of the USAID PUSH project
- Draft and revise data collection tools, SOPs and other study related documents and coordinate the initial and periodic review of all study tools and SOPs
- Coordinate and administer program evaluation and assessment in accordance with approved protocols; including providing oversight and direct supervision of data collection, data cleaning, storage and implementation of relevant SOPs.
- Liaise with relevant District Technical Advisors (DTAs) and other EGPAF staff at PUSH evaluation sites for successful implementation of the evaluations, as well as, develop and maintain partnerships and networks with other District and Health Facility managers in PUSH evaluation districts/sites to ensure smooth project implementation.
- Develop and maintain periodic communication and collaboration with local and international investigators, the Lesotho Ministry of Health, and sponsor institutions, with the aim of providing timely updates to all relevant stakeholders
- Periodically conduct internal monitoring and audit of the evaluation to ensure compliance of the data collectors to the evaluation protocol, SOPs and regulatory requirements, and make appropriate recommendations to the Associate Director Public Health Evaluations on the status of the evaluation.
- Participate in capacity building by mentoring and teaching other junior staff important aspects of research and evaluations, including development of staff skills on writing research protocols, abstracts and manuscripts for publication.
- Review, analyze, interpret evaluation data and disseminate findings through publication in international journals and presentation of abstracts in national and international scientific meetings in line with EGPAF policies and donor requirements
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Associate Director of Public Health Evaluations
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine and Surgery
- Master’s degree in Public Health or Epidemiology
- Extensive experience in operation research and program evaluations.
Skills knowledge and abilities
- Good writing skills and ability to develop protocols for research, abstracts and manuscripts for publication
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects while working as part of a team.
- Computer competency including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Excellent communication skills
Closing date: 05 October 2017