The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Sciences Po aims to support talented African students through their studies and to offer the next generation of leaders a world-class social science education, so they can go on to become changemakers in their home countries. The scholarships offered in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation are merit-based scholarships for students from sub-Saharan African countries with an outstanding academic record and strong leadership potential, but who face financial and other barriers to higher education. These highly selective scholarships are open to candidates applying to our Bachelor’s program, one of our seven graduate schools, or Sciences Po Summer School.
Scholarships are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorized to nominate candidates. There are two steps to the application:
- First, candidates provide personal information and a letter of recommendation from the Sciences Po partner institutionwhich is supporting their application through the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
- After this first step to assess eligibility, applicants receive an email inviting them to complete the rest of the application: information on their financial situation, their educational background and extra-curricular experiences, and their plans for the future.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Sciences Po aims to support 120 talented African students through their studies and to offer the next generation of leaders a world-class social science education, so they can go on to become changemakers in their home countries.
Over six years (2017 – 2022), the Scholars Program will fund:
- 20 scholarships to complete the Sciences Po Bachelor of Arts programme, Africa specialisation
- 40 scholarships to complete a Master’s programme at one of our seven graduate schools
- 60 scholarships reserved for Mastercard Foundation Scholars studying at other partner universities and who would like to attend Sciences Po Summer School.
Financial aid & Career preparation
The scholarships are awarded to students from sub-Saharan African countries with an outstanding academic record and strong leadership potential, but who face financial and other barriers to higher education.
The scholarships are awarded for a period of three years for the Bachelor’s degree, two years for the Master’s degree and one month for the Summer School. They cover the full cost of tuition fees at Sciences Po and living costs in France during the study period.
As well as funding their studies, Sciences Po will offer scholars a specific suite of resources to ensure they have appropriate academic support and to facilitate their transition from education to employment:
- An orientation programme and individualised academic advising throughout their studies at Sciences Po
- A mentor programme offered in collaboration with the Africa Division of Sciences Po Alumni
- Career guidance and support: an online job platform dedicated to professional opportunities in Africa (internships and first jobs), access to our business incubator and the network of employers and alumni working in Africa, and specific career workshops.
Eligibility criteria and selection process
Scholarships for the 2018/2019 academic year are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorised to nominate candidates. For more information on the application and selection process and dates, please refer to the section How to apply.
The Mastercard Foundation works with forward-looking organisations to provide greater access to education, training and financial services for economically disadvantaged people, primarily in Africa. As one of the world’s largest private foundations, its mission is to advance education and promote financial inclusion in order to forge an inclusive and equitable world. The Foundation is based in Toronto, Canada, and has operated independently of Mastercard International since its inception in 2006.
Sciences Po is the first university in continental Europe to join the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program. Within this international network, 27 prestigious institutions in Africa, America and Europe are committed to ensuring that all young people, whatever their background, have the same opportunities to get a quality education and fulfil their potential.
Undergraduate: 15 February 2018 midnight (Paris time)
Graduate: 1 February 2018 midnight (Paris time)