The strategic objective of this project is to increase the adoption of protective behaviors with a focus on safer sexual behaviors and supporting healthy social norms among adults and youth in Lesotho. Under the project, the incumbent will oversee the design and implementation of all of PSI/Lesotho’s monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and research activities to inform program design, monitor program activities, and measure the impact of interventions. This position is also responsible for ensuring PSI/Lesotho’s compliance with strategies and tools designed by PSI/Washington’s Research and Metrics Department, making appropriate adaptations based on local context and need.
This job is based in Maseru with up to 30% travel within Lesotho and reports to the Senior Research and M&E Manager. This position supervises 4 Research and M&E Officers.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Management of PSI/Lesotho M&E and research activities—
- Serve as PSI/Lesotho’s technical expert on research and evaluation, leading the design of quantitative and qualitative studies to segment populations, monitor social marketing activities over time, and evaluate intervention effectiveness.
- Effectively supervise and build the capacity of Research staff through appropriate delegation, performance-based management, and regular communication.
- Design and supervise the implementation of M&E tools and systems, including oversight of MIS processes, for all PSI/Lesotho programs and partners.
- Design and implement strategies to ensure the quality of program data required to donor reporting, including the conduct of data quality audits for PSI/Lesotho and partner activities.
- Continually assess the need and develop new tools and approaches to improve the quality of M&E and research activities.
- Participate significantly in the development of quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports for donor-funded activities.
- Design and facilitate the implementation of PSI/Lesotho’s annual research plan.
- In collaboration with Sr. Research and M&E Manager represent PSI/Lesotho on external working groups, ensuring PSI’s place as an important collaborator on national M&E and research efforts.
- Ensure complete documentation and dissemination of PSI Lesotho study findings.
- Prepare illustrative budgets for M&E and research activities.
Build the research and M&E capacity of PSI/Lesotho staff and partner organizations—
- Increase the capacity of, and provide technical support to, PSI/Lesotho program and technical staff to build their skills in interpreting research results and using a research-to-action approach to guide programmatic decisions and activities.
- Provide oversight and develop the M&E and research capacity of implementing partners by contributing to capacity building activities and serving as a mentor to M&E and research staff, including assessment of gaps and implementation of support to address identified gaps.
- Perform other tasks, as required.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in Statistics, population studies, communication statistics, or a related field with a strong academic background in research. Masters preferred.
- At least three years experience with quantitative research methods and specific methodologies, including behavioral studies, multivariate analysis, GIS, tracking surveys, mapping studies, multi-item scaling, etc.
- At least two years experience with qualitative research techniques including focus groups, in-depth interviews, and other ethnographic techniques, including discussion/interview guideline development, focus group moderating, interview techniques, analysis of qualitative data, and write-up of results.
- Demonstrated experience with M&E systems in international organizational settings, including development of logical frameworks and/or program/project design.
- Experience implementing initiatives to develop the M&E and research capacity of partner organizations and individuals.
- Strong written and spoken English skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff.
- Extensive knowledge of a statistical analysis program (SPSS or STATA).
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment with flexible working hours.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter, resume/curricula vitae (CV), list of 3-5 professional references (with contact information, supervisory references preferred), and scanned copy of all academic qualifications to PSI Lesotho by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (for the Research and M&E Manger). Only email submissions will be accepted. While all application submissions will be reviewed and considered, only the most qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. The application submission deadline is 5:00 p.m. local time on Friday, 14th April 2017.