The Lesotho ‘Scaling Inclusion through Mobile Money’ (Lesotho SIMM) project is one of the three pilot projects in Africa initiated by the UNDP Regional Service Center for Africa to strengthen the development of Inclusive Business Ecosystem Initiatives (IBEI) in Lesotho, Uganda and Senegal. The Lesotho SIMM project is aimed at advancing access to formal and semiformal financial services for the poor through the establishment and support of an inclusive ecosystem for mobile financial services.
The project will contribute to improvement of the national indicators on employment creation and economic development by facilitating dialogue, increasing advocacy and knowledge, and investment for inclusive finance. The Lesotho SIMM project seeks to mobilize adoption of mobile technology for improved access to finance for low income stakeholders, thus also improving household and business financial management through innovations and financial solutions. This is further expected to improve interaction of the unbanked with formal financial services, specifically banks, thereby improving options for access to savings, credit and insurance through a formal channel.
The project will be implemented in accordance with the principles of UNDP’s inclusive business diamond framework, entailing establishing an ecosystem for the provision of information, investment, incentives and implementation support for inclusive finance in Lesotho.
In order to ensure the effective implementation of the Lesotho SIMM Project, UNDP is looking for the services of a Project Officer, to support implementation of the project by providing technical, management and administrative support.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure effective management and implementation of the Lesotho SIMM project
- Ensures effective implementation of the project, partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve project outcomes.
- Effective application of RBM tools for planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Undertakes constant monitoring and analysis of the project environment and facilitates timely readjustments.
- Preparation of reports on project achievements, delivery and other areas of accountability to UNDP for regular performance monitoring.
- Constant review of the project to ensure alignment to the IBEI principles
- Effectively participates and ensures sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice, including the regional pilot IBEI projects platform
- Prepare periodic project progress reports and ensure implementation of any corrective actions as recommended.
- Provision of technical support to the implementing partners and grantees
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the project.
- Works closely with the platform coordinator and grantees to build a knowledge hub and advocate best practices in financial inclusion
- Support project implementing partners and coordinate linkage of results across all the four project components
- Coordinate with the LMMP Coordinator to ensure the effective integration of relevant Lesotho SIMM activities into the LMMP action plan and implementation
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- IT literacy and ability to operate with on-line web-based applications
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Knowledge and the ability to apply communication methods and techniques
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture
- In-depth knowledge of relevant development issues
- Ability to provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Effective communication skills in various contexts: strategic planning, mentoring, training and making presentations
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Master’s degree in Economics, development studies, banking, finance or related field.
- Experience of 3 – 5 years’ in supporting implementation and management of development projects and related assignments
- Proven understanding and experience of inclusive finance and economic development programs
- Experience working with mobile money for financial inclusion will be an asset
- Familiarity with UNDP and UN system is an advantage
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 31 March 2017