The Lesotho Data for Sustainable Development Project a new project funded by the European Union and United Nations Development Program. The project is aimed at assisting the Government of Lesotho in the collection, analysis and dissemination of development data and building institutional and technical capacities for monitoring and evaluation of development programs and effective public management system. The project intends to strengthen national and sectoral capacities to generate and utilize data, facilitate accountability for resources and advocacy for evidence – based planning and results. The project will be implemented by the Ministry of Development Planning, through Dept of M&E and Bureau of Statistics, and managed by UNDP.
UNDP is looking for a Project Assistant to provide project administration, management and technical support for the Lesotho Data project and support project implementation to ensure successful delivery of the project. The Project Assistant will report to the Project Manager, for day-to day activities, and work closely with the Ministry of Development Planning (Bos and M&E Unit) to ensure timely completion of work programs. The program Assistant is also expected to work in close collaboration with other program assistants to ensure consistent and adherence to UN project management systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of UNDP Strategic and Policy Programme Manager, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
1. Effective administrative and financial control in the project;
· Support the Project Manager in the implementation of the project and ensure compliance among implementing partners UNDP administrative and reporting requirements, clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, and related issues;
· Update and initiate processing of project and financial entries in ATLAS;
· Reconcile the records of payments with activities and prepare new disbursements to the Project Manager;
· Proper inventory control supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies;
· Provide assistance in the preparation of budget, and other reports and prepare budget revisions as required;
· Support hosting of project steering committee meetings
2. Support to effective procurement, budgeting, financial and assets management;
· Assist the project manager in the preparation of project activities budgets based on approved work plans;
· Raise requisitions and be the financial focal point utilizing ATLAS (UN financial management system) for the project,
· Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for the project;
· Collect, maintain and update data relevant to the project areas being supported, and update the project manager accordingly;
· Support the counterparts and UNDP programme Staff on operational issues by ensuring compliance of UNDP rules and procedures under EU Delegation Agreement.
3. Support implementation of operational strategies;
· Full compliance of administrative activities in line with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
· Actively participate in the preparation of work plans, operation plans as well as procurement plans for projects,
· Liaise with Ministry of Development Planning in the preparation of contracts, including activities, work plans, budget and schedule of payments;
· Maintain a permanent file for the project and appropriate filing system documenting the implementation for all information related to the project
4. Effective and efficient project management support;
· Ensure proper reporting to Project manager on implementation, the achievement of outputs as well as, contribute to reporting on progress towards outcomes and impact;
· Prepare presentations to development partners and Project managers as required;
· Support production of bi-weekly progress reports, issues and constraints against work plan and as required to be submitted to the project technical team;
5. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
· Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the project for organizational sharing and learning;
· Supports capacity-building of national counterparts;
· Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the programme/CO
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
· Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
· Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
· Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
· Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
· Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
· Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
· Corporate Competencies;
o Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
o Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
o Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
o Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
· Functional Competencies;
o Ability to participate effectively in team-based information sharing environment; Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time;
o High client service orientation and initiative to solve problem, excellent analytical and communication skills;
o Ensures high quality and accuracy of work; Executes processes and transactions with a results-oriented approach;
o Consistently approaches work with energy and positive, constructive attitude;
o Ability to work with minimal supervision.
· Development and Operational Effectiveness;
o Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
o Ability to extract, interpret, analyse data and resolve operational problems;
o Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
o Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
o Strong IT skills and knowledge of web based systems;
o Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
· Leadership and Self-Management;
o Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
o Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
o Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: First University degree, preferably in Business Administration, Economics or Statistics
· 3 years of administrative or programme/project experience is required at the national level; including office management, financial reporting, and budget management
· Advanced skill in the usage of computer software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and web based management systems.
· Good communications and interpersonal skills essential, excellent drafting and analytical skills required.
· Appreciation of development data concepts, M&E will be an added advantage
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Sesotho (written and oral skills);
Closing date: 21 March 2017
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
This post is for local recruitment only. It is open to citizens of Lesotho.