The overall purpose of the Personal Assistant is to provide personal assistant function for the Directors and Heads of Divisions/Sections, as well as in administrative issues which include management of the Directors’ official work schedule, typing, establishing and maintaining the divisional/sectional filing system, operation of the divisional/sectional records,, production and distribution of documents, general office administration and preparation of meetings as well as official trips, and perform such other tasks as may be assigned by the Director/Sectional/Divisional Head Duties:
S/He should have knowledge for the below mentioned areas. The specific duties and responsibilities for this position are:
Responsibilities to the Director/Sectional/Divisional Head
- Assisting in managing daily schedules and diary.
- Make and receive telephone calls and take and convey messages.
- Type documents, presentations, spreadsheets, including maintaining and updating of these.
- Takes and transcribes dictation to a legible presentation to reduce drafting time.
- Produce documents and copy and bind these as required.
- Provide refreshment service when visitors are received.
Typing Production and Distribution of Documents
- Type correspondences and documents to put written communication into a legible presentation.
- Seals Classified documents to accord office secrecy.
- Photocopies documents to enable distribution thereof as required.
- Binds reports and other documents as required.
- Distributes documents and correspondence as necessary for information and action.
- Organises and maintains appropriate records of delivery of correspondence and documents to persons and organisations outside the Directorate.
- Receive and relay messages for divisional/sectional staff through a suitable medium to facilitate the taking of appropriate action.
- Transmit messages through an appropriate medium and dispatch mail to facilitate communication with various organizations and individuals.
- Receive, record and pass incoming mail to the Director/Sectional/Divisional Head to facilitate appropriate action.
- Redistributes incoming mail from Director/Sectional/Divisional Head to officer responsible for action, once such mail is assigned.
- Annotates mail as necessary to indicate the urgency and/or importance of certain portions that require immediate attention.
- Maintains a record system and files correspondence for access to information and reference.
- Registers out-going mail and instructs office assistant on delivery/postage for record and appropriate dispatch.
- Receives visitors, attends to their requests and refers their queries to other officers as necessary to regulate and speed up the process of service delivery.
- Checks office equipment in the Director/Divisional/Sectional Office and recommends service or replacement to minimize work-flow disruptions.
- Supervises the Office Assistant in use of all office equipment.
- Operates and maintains the divisional/sectional record system.
Arrangement of Official Trips
- Compose itinerary of business journeys to enable successful travel.
- Arrange entry visas, accommodation, and transport to enable successful stay and movement in the host country.
- Advise to retire tour imprest as appropriate for accountability of public funds.
- Check and confirm the validity of travel documents and certificates of inoculation in order to ensure adherence to immigration and health requirements of a host country.
- Arrange entry visas, accommodation, and transport for official guests visiting the Director/Divisional/Sectional Office, to enable their stay and movement in the country.
- Arranges appointments and leisure activities for official guests to ensure a hospitable visit.
Organization of Official Meetings, Conferences and Official Entertainment
- Issue letters of invitation for meetings, conference and official entertainment and confirm attendance to facilitate participation and hosting logistics.
- Organize refreshments for official meetings to promote good public relations.
- Communicate Director/Sectional/Divisional Head’s acceptance/decline of invitations to official functions in order to facilitate hosting logistics and to avoid disappointments.
- Maintains an official guest list in order to adhere to protocol practices and to avoid errors of omission.
Director/Sectional/Divisional Head’s Office Security
- Director/Sectional/Divisional Head’s Office windows and doors are locked outside of working hours, and if available will activate the alarm system to prevent loss and theft.
- All correspondence and documents are safely stored to prevent accidental fire occurrences.
- All lighting and heating/cooling systems are shut down on vacation of office to prevent accidental fire occurrences.
- Security procedures in the Director/Sectional/Divisional Head’s Office are posted and implemented in order to facilitate adherence to security.
- All Sectional/Divisional Staff are aware of procedures to protect Sectional/Divisional data on the computer systems, and that these are followed as far as possible.
Diploma in secretarial studies or related fields plus four years experience in similar jobs or Certificate in secretarial studies or related fields plus six years experience in similar jobs. Specialist knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office Word, Microsoft Office Outlook, and Microsoft Office PowerPoint is a basic requirement and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Project and Microsoft Office Access is an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Analytical skills and the attention for detail
- Problem analysis and solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Basic knowledge of stores, registry and financial procedures
NB: The closing date for the submission of applications is 12th April, 2017. No late applications will be accepted. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Applications should be addressed to:
Roads Directorate Head office
Opposite Browns Cash and Carry
Tel: (+266) 52229000
Tel :(+266) 2222 9000
Roads Directorate Head office
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 194
Industrial Area, Maseru 100