Under the general supervision of the National Tuberculosis Programme (NTP) Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will serve as main focal person for all M&E related activities for the Ministry of Health – National TB Programme. S/he will assist and report NTP Manager regarding M&E implemented activities. S/he will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the implementation of M&E plan of the programme. The use of process evaluation for continued improvement of National TB programme operations will be an additional role.
Scope of Work
The incumbent will work as part of NTP Staff under the supervision and guidance of the programme manager. The M&E officer will have the following duties:
- Lead development of M&E) plan of NTP and harmonise the work plans for each projects that are supporting the programme as well as overseeing the review of the implementation of the programme and be the focal person for coordination between NTP programme level M&E and projects level M&E
- Be responsible for sourcing up-to-date data for TB and TB/HIV data directly from all implementing organisations as per M&E plan.
- Develop quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports for NTP
- Support technical work such as reviewing M&E methods, carrying out training needs, designing M&E tools and advising M&E technical assistance.
- Ensuring mentoring and training of NTP team to foster capacity building on M&E knowledge.
- Participate in workshops, seminars, Strategic Information committees meetings to identify gaps and weaknesses in M&E and plan appropriate actions for improvement
- Analyse routine reporting data and conduct periodic dissemination meetings to present results of the implementation of programme activities
- Meet regularly with NTP staff and other stakeholders as appropriate to identify issues and to report programme accomplishments and challenges
- Ensure quality control of routine M&E outputs and participate in the design, development of the protocols, data collection tools, data verification techniques, and other technical evaluation and analytical tasks conducted under evaluations in the NTP.
- Participate in supportive supervision, Data Quality Audits (DQA) and Routine Data Quality Assessments (RDQAs)
- Serve as the evaluation team member of selected evaluations conducted under NTP
- Oversee and participate in evaluations and assessments of NTP. Review and provide technical advice related to different frameworks and indicators in the NTP M&E Plan
- Accomplish others tasks related to monitoring and evaluation as per the need of programme as assigned by NTP manager
- Duration of Assignment
- Initial one-year contract, subject to review after the first year with possibly of extension dependent on performance
Master’s Degree in Public health, M&E, statistics, Economics, Public Administration or related field with more than 2 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation activities in health and strong analytic background on TB programme.
- The M&E officer must have strong experience in health research and data management in health and preferably TB or HIV programme with scientific publications .
- The applicant must have good understanding of monitoring and evaluation concepts, and strong understanding and experience of using routine health information systems.
- The applicant is also required to have good understanding of and familiarity with health systems. Computer literacy in Microsoft package and excellent use of Excel, PowerPoint and statistics software such as Epi-Info, Access, SPSS, SAS, N-VIVO and/or STATA is required.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Familiarity with latest development in monitoring and evaluation practices
- Ability to critically assess the performance of health systems, to identify key challenges and solutions
- Lead and Innovate – encourages and works with others to identify, incubate and implement relevant solutions
- Possess excellent technical skills in socio-economic research and programme and project performance assessment
- Strong communication and facilitation skills and ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders in a sensitive environment. S/he must be able to respond quickly to requests for information
- S/he must demonstrate strong interpersonal and motivational skills and sensitivity to the different environment as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent data analytical skills and interpretation. S/he must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative and qualitative skills
- Experience in project management and managing of other personnel under s/he supervision
- Shares new insights based on in- depth understanding of the Ministry of Health and recommends solutions for current and future needs.
A competitive salary will be offered as per Kingdom of Lesotho norms for public officers and World Bank guidelines
Interested and suitability qualified candidates should forward their applications personally or electronically indicating the advertisement and position on the subject line of letter and envelope together with detailed curriculum vitae indicating work experience, current remuneration and copies of testimonials (day time telephone contacts, names and telephone contacts of 3 referees to reach the undersigned not later than April 7, 2017) to:
Ground Floor, Room G03
Ministry of Health
Corner Constitution & Linare Roads
Kingdom of Lesotho
Further information can be obtained from the following during office hours [08h00 to 16h30 local time]:
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.