Under the general supervision of the Director Pavement and Materials, the incumbent will have technical, financial and managerial responsibility for Road Pavement and Materials Division. The incumbent will be responsible for construction, upgrading, and rehabilitation of roads and bridges to the required standard in accordance with social, environmental and road safety guidelines. Specifically he/she will supervise, manage and monitor all roads and bridges rehabilitation, upgrading and construction works carried out by contractors and force account teams assigned to the Directorate and ensure that all works are executed properly in respect of specification, quantity, quality and financial obligations.
S/He should have knowledge for the below mentioned areas. The specific duties and responsibilities for this position are:
- To have technical, financial and administrative responsibility for Laboratory and Quality Assurance Sections.
- To enforce road and bridge standards across the country and carry out technical and performance audit for all public roads in Lesotho.
- Ensure the provision of research, testing and advisory services to various sections of the Directorate on the quality of construction and maintenance materials, on the soil conditions for road/bridge design and on required quality of construction.
- Ensure the provision of soil and subsurface investigation reports for design purposes of special and complicated projects, such as, high embankments, embankments on soft foundations, foundations for bridges etc.
- Managing RD research programs and publish reports on materials related issues and appropriate advanced research work.
- Managing investigation of particular failures in road/bridge construction works.
- Review and recommend amendments to Standard Test Procedures, Construction Guidelines and Standard Specifications.
- Ensure administrative and technical control and supervision of Laboratories.
- Ensure that standard test procedures for quality control of all standards and types of work are periodically updated.
- Oversee the operation of field and contract laboratories and ensure equipment is adequate for the purpose and correctly adjusted.
- Ensure materials and geotechnical investigations are conducted on prospective and ongoing projects are carried out, advise projects on pavement & materials related issues and monitor all pavement, laboratory and quality assurance activities.
- Ensure Road Safety Audit Reports on National, Regional and major feeder road and bridge projects are carried out departmentally or procured.
- Recommend Road Safety Countermeasures at identified high prone Road Accident areas to minimize hazards.
- Co-ordination of other departments of the project in regard to Road and Bridge Standards and specifications and on the Quality Assurance requirements for both materials and workmanship.
- Implement the RD Accreditation Roadmap activities such as documenting procedures as per ISO 17025 and ISO 9001.
- Training lab technicians / lab assistants for quality control tests and other documentary procedures.
- Preparation of as built and completion reports.
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Ensure that the annual budget estimates for all works in his/her section are prepared and reviewed by the prescribed time and to make the necessary requests for the appropriate budget allocations.
- Monitor the expenditures in the division against the relevant budget to ensure that no excess expenditures are permitted to occur. If additional budget appropriations are required, ensure that the applications are made at the appropriate time and ensure that the yearly budget is effectively utilised and avoid incurring large expenditures in the closing months of the year.
- Ensure that any revenues under his/her control arising from Directorate operations in the division are fully recovered and deposited in accordance with Government procedures.
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Ensures that the execution of all works and all other operations of his section are carried out in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Directorate.
- Monitor physical progress against time and cost and avoid cost and time overruns.
- Ensures that all reports and other information required from the section and its subsidiary units are completed accurately in the required formats and are submitted to the Divisional Director in time.
- Makes inspections of field works at least once a quarter. The results of these visits will be recorded on the prescribed pro-forma.
- Liaises with other senior staff of the Roads Directorate in order to ensure good performance.
- HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Have technical and administrative control over the personnel in his Section and to be responsible for the proper functioning and discipline of his section and in cases of default he is to recommend to the Divisional Director for disciplinary proceedings to be instigated against the concerned personnel.
- Advise and assist in the training of Roads Directorate staff in matters pertaining to his/her section. This activity should be undertaken in close collaboration with the Roads Directorate Training Centre.
Roads Directorate Head office
Opposite Browns Cash and Carry
Tel: (+266) 52229000
Tel :(+266) 2222 9000
Roads Directorate Head office
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 194
Industrial Area, Maseru 100
NB: The closing date for the submission of applications is 12th April, 2017. No late applications will be accepted. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.