The Government of Lesotho has secured funds from Global Fund (GF) to fight HIV and AIDS as well as TB and Malaria. The overall coordination of the funds is the responsibility of the Ministry of Finance, the Principal Recipient of these funds through the established Program Implementation Unit, the Global Fund Coordinating Unit (GFCU).
The Ministry of Health has been selected as the major Sub Recipient to most of the signed grants between the MOF and the GF. To enable the GFCU to discharge its mandate of coordinating MOH Global Fund supported activities effectively, workforce is required. The MOH therefore invites suitably qualifies candidates for the positions below:
Position: Laboratory Technologist TB (2)
Duty Station : National TB Reference Laboratory
Under the general supervision of the Senior Laboratory Technologist/Principal Laboratory Technologist, the Laboratory Technologist TB will be responsible for implementation of safety precautions and quality assurance, TB sample reception, sample analysis, reporting of results, compilation and maintenance of laboratory records and preventative maintenance of equipment.
1. Implementation of quality and safety procedures
• Adhere to organizational and departmental specific safety standards and guidelines
• Daily prepares disinfectants according to the SOPs
• Daily cleans, disinfects working environment and fill the logs
• Daily checks and monitors environmental temperatures (room, fridge, freezer)
• Discard completed TB samples according to the guidelines.
2. Preparation of specimen for analysis
• Daily receives TB samples and matches them with request forms
• Always rejects unsuitable TB samples according to specimen rejection criteria specified in the TB Laboratory Hand Book and document reasons for specimen rejection.
• Daily records patients /clients names in Laboratory Information System (LIS) or in TB laboratory log book.
• Prepares TB samples for processing/analysis
3. Analysis of TB samples
• Daily conduct equipment maintenance and document.
• Daily calibrate machines, runs internal controls as per quality guidelines and document.
• Review control results and initiate corrective action where applicable.
• Daily analyses TB samples as per protocol /SOPs
• Check for flagging results and repeat the test
• Refer critical results to SLT/PLT
• Store or archive TB samples as per procedure.
4. Reporting of results
• Daily submits results to Senior Laboratory Technologist/Principal Laboratory Technologist for verification
• Daily record verified findings and results into the laboratory information system (LIS) or TB laboratory log book.
5. Records keeping
• Daily files records
• Daily dispatches patients/ client results
• Monthly compiles bench statistics in the section and submits to the senior Laboratory Technologist/Principal Laboratory Technologist.
• Monthly conducts stock count
Education and Training
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences or Biomedical Technology
1 year Laboratory work experience handling TB related issues
Knowledge and Skills
HR & Compensation Manager,
Ministry of Health,
P.O. Box 514,
Maseru 100, Lesotho.
For further enquiry please contact: (266) 22314183
Applications which shall include covering letter, detailed CV and certified certificates must be hand delivered to the 2nd Floor HR Reception at Ministry of Health Headquarters, HR Department before 17th March 2017 @16:00 hrs.
Applicants not contacted in four weeks from the closing date can assume that their application has not been successful. The Ministry has no obligation to fill the positions if no candidates has been identified. The engagement contract will be ending in June 2018.