Reporting to the Medical Officer, the Laboratory Manager will be responsible for delivery of quality diagnostic services in line with AHF and MoH laboratory quality standards, and aligned to AHF-Lesotho annual testing and treatment targets. The employee will lead the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of laboratory services within AHF supported sites and in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and other implementing partners. The position will develop the competence of laboratory staff and ensure management decisions taken are based on availability of accurate laboratory data and timely reporting.
Supervision and Reporting
The Lab Manager’s day to day clinic activities and conduct will be overseen by the Medical Officer. The Laboratory Manager will be responsible for supervision of Laboratory Technicians/Locums/volunteers at Katlehong clinic and supported sites
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Supervision and Reporting
- Oversee and supervise the supported sites Laboratory Technicians and Assistants to ensure compliance to ethical guidelines and protocols and junior staff is empowered.
- Ensure that periodical quality reports are generated and submitted at all levels including to the Ministry of Health and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provides coaching and mentorship in establishing specimen preparation procedures; developing and implementing analytical procedures and evaluating laboratory information;
- Holds Continuous Medical Education (CME) to elucidate revised laboratory protocols and guidelines as made available.
- Spearheads establishment of quality standards that among others address; operations, troubleshooting procedures; certifying instrument performance; arranging equipment replacement, service, and repair.
- Ensures adequate stock of medical and HIV diagnostics laboratory supplies and inventory by regular stock taking to determine inventory level; anticipated gaps; placing and expediting orders for supplies.
- Supports the planning function by monitoring workload of the key functional areas and by identifying peak and slack periods; advises management on making operational or staffing adjustment.
- Participates in the identification of new programs by ; conducting tests, methods, instruments and procedures by investigating alternatives; preparing proposals; developing and performing parallel testing; monitoring progress.
- Participates in planning, budgeting coordination, monitoring of laboratory staff and related services at all Health Centers-Katlehong clinic and supported sites.
- Contributes to human resource acquisition through participation in the recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training of laboratory staff.
Quality assurance and improvement
- Promotes service quality by participating in the health facility quality assurance program; consulting with pathologists; performing proficiency surveys; reviewing quality control and quality assurance programs; making adjustments in policy and procedures; generating reports; maintaining records.
- Maintains medical laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems; recommending improvements; establishing priorities; testing; writing user manuals/SOPs; training employees; maintaining client’s safety and confidentiality.
Performance management and staff development
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning staff and follow up on work results.
- Supports lab staff performance through career/conduct counseling and disciplining staff; setting performance key result areas and appraising target achievement
- Organize for educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks as a way of maintaining professionalism and technical knowledge
- Participates in acquisition of outsourced services by completing service requests forms and timely reviewing service bills and coding ; providing finance office with service codes.
- Ensures that all supervised staff adheres to professional code of conduct and ethics
- Imparts knowledge and skills to staff and student interns/volunteers
- Performs delegated duties by the Medical Officer including supported sites Medical Officers and any other line managers.
- Resolves challenges by consulting with the Medical Officer, Clinical team, other laboratory in-charges, technical coordinators, line managers, physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals
- Intercedes with difficult staff, resolves disputes, and assists with laboratory operational or procedural inquiries.
- Participates in ensuring adherence to AHF policies, management philosophy and integrity of staff at all centers.
- Equipment and inventory management
- Routinely monitors safety , functionality and good maintenance of all laboratory equipment in all supported sites
- Participates in the review of request for laboratory supplies and consumables, equipment and any other supplies for the facility
- Monitors proper inventory and stock management for all laboratory supplies both at head office and at the health facilities.
- Checks that laboratory unit environment is kept clean and with the recommended infection control measures.
- Communicates with all medical providers to ensure that all sites receive complete services in accordance with available policies and procedures
- Coordinates and conducts laboratory site regional review meetings in order to ensure that the Laboratory team is functioning in accordance with policies, procedures, and program requirements.
- Coordinates /plans for sample referral mechanism in accordance with sample referral systems and processes management protocols and procedures.
- Participates in assessing and reporting both on Internal/External Quality Improvement checks and ensures licensing for all laboratory personnel including verification of all laboratory facilities is up to date.
- Attends to conferences and any other duties as may be called upon.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Technology or related field with strong Medical laboratory skills.
- At least 3 years working experience in Medical Laboratory technology services at a level of management within the healthcare setting related to HIV/AIDS care program.
- Bachelor’s Degree level education or higher
- Commitment to the vision and mission of AHF- Lesotho
- Exceptional command of the English language
- Communicates efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Follow instructions given in both verbal and written format
- Effective time management
- Good interpersonal and written communication
- Ability and willingness to work in a team
- Carry out multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Self-driven with capacity to work under minimal or no supervision
- Should have good leadership skills.