Every year, the Global Entrepreneurship Congress gathers together thousands of entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, policymakers and other startup champions from more than 160 countries to identify new ways of helping founders start and scale new ventures around the world. At the weeklong GEC, delegates make connections, gain insights, learn about new research, and leave ready to renew their programs, policy ideas or firm founder skills.
Now in its ninth year, the GEC pulls together a broad collection of voices from entrepreneurial ecosystems around the world—and we hope you will add yours.
GEC 2017 will take place in the heartbeat of South Africa, in Johannesburg — a budding startup hub that is both an economic and cultural point of the country — which promises to build on the successes of previous host cities: Medellín, Milan, Moscow, Rio de Janeiro, Liverpool, Shanghai, Dubai and Kansas City where it was launched in 2009 by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.
The GEC features a wide variety of sessions to explore what’s next in a variety of topic areas, such as:
- Innovative entrepreneurship education and support programs to create that entrepreneurial mindset necessary to accelerate the growth of high-potential startups;
- The power of data to serve as both a fuel for entrepreneurs as well as guide to shape the policies that help them flourish;
- How startups are beginning to solve major global challenges such as with food and water;
- Identifying new trends in increasing the availability of early stage capital;
- Exploring efforts to unleash the untapped potential of women and youth; and more.
The 2017 Global Entrepreneurship Congress is hosted by the Global Entrepreneurship Network, SEA Africa, the City of Johannesburg and the Kauffman Foundation and offers participants access to information about a wide array of GEN research, programs and events throughout the world year-round.
- To enter the competition, they are required to like the GEN South Africa Facebook page, click the “Digital Pitch Competition” tab and register by completing the form.
- Thereafter, they should upload their pitch video directly on the page before February 5, 2017. The videos are open for public voting, as such entrepreneurs are to ask their friends to vote by liking their videos.
- After the public voting closes on February 7, the top five entrepreneurs will be selected as winners with an official announcement made on February 17 on the GEN South Africa Facebook page.
- The winners will go on to pitch their products/services in front of fellow entrepreneurs, potential investors and others in the global entrepreneurial ecosystem at the 2017 GEC, which holds on March 13 – 16, 2017 in Johannesburg.
- Their flights to the venue and accommodations for three nights will be covered, and they will also receive recognition as VIP guests, giving them networking opportunities with big players from tech ecosystems around the globe.
Interested? Follow the aforementioned instructions or send an email to email@example.com if you got questions.