DIRECTOR OF FUND DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATION /IOR ESAF (Job Ref: SOS/9/4)
Position title:** Director of Fund Development and Communication
Working location:** Johannesburg South Africa
Supervisor:** International Director/IOR ESAF
Region:** East and Southern Africa (ESAF)
Context of the position
Established in 1949, SOS Children’s Villages International is a dynamic, international social development organization working globally to meet the needs and protect the interests and rights of orphaned and vulnerable children.
Within the Eastern and Southern Africa region(ESAF), SOS CV International is headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and has member associations in Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Somali/Somaliland, Djibouti, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia, Mauritius, Angola and Madagascar
Reporting to the International Director, and member of regional management team, the Director Fund Development and Communications is the head of Fund Development and Communication function, directing both strategic as well day to day outcomes across the region.
Mission of the position:
The Director of Fund Development and Communications builds regional and national fundraising capacity in the fields of Individual Giving, Leadership Giving, Institutional Partnership Development, External Communications and Donor Services and Strategy and Analysis, across the region by providing strategic drive (incl. prioritisation) and guidance, targeted technical support and clear operating frameworks. In particular, directly drive net income growth development and increase in number of private donors/committed givers in the ESAF region.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
•Provide senior level consultancy to defined “key fundraising markets” of the Region in the field of Fundraising (Focus on Private Donors);
•Drive the development and implementation of fundraising & communications strategies in Member Associations (MAs) and ensure support in the development and monitoring of fundraising investment applications.
•Coordinate the development of regional fund development support plans and reports ensuring alignment with the organization’s global strategic plan and regional priorities;
•Ensure implementation of global policies, standards and guidelines and monitor their correct application across the region.
•Monitor fundraising and communications activities based on agreed international Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and ensure capacity building in priority MAs in the area of analysis.
•Ensure coherent messaging and branding, aligned position statements and drive capacity building in MAs in the area of external communication (incl. Crisis Communication);
•Enable delivery of fundraising systems in MAs (incl. harmonization of the regional fundraising system landscape and ensure capacity building at national and regional levels;
•Promote and initiate opportunities for innovation in line with global product portfolio- in order to enable further growth;
• Directly drive and support professional fundraising practice in the region with priority countries (this includes supervise and support the development and consolidation of cross-national and cross-regional private donor giving opportunities);
•Assist with recruitment and orientation of senior fundraising and communications staff in MAs;
•Support upon request National Directors and Boards in the area of fundraising and communications.
• Drive knowledge sharing activities across the region and between ESAF and other regions in Africa in all areas of fundraising and communications (esp. focus on the area of Private Donor fundraising);
Functional Network and global strategic development
•Contribute to and support the global network of Fund Development and Communications experts through providing latest information and knowledge and actively work together;
•Keep abreast of competition and fundraising trends in the region;
•As regional representative in the global network, bring in the regional view, fostering at the same time what is best for the entire organisation;
•Promote, guide and support a regional network of fundraisers and communications experts.
•Liaise closely with other functions at the regional level in order to guarantee adherence to organisational standards and to seek synergies wherever possible.
•As Function’s representative in the Regional Management Team, bring in the functional expert view, striving at the same time for a customer / service focussed cross-functional cooperation;
•Lead and/or participate in cross-functional processes/projects in order to enable SOS Children’s Villages to maximise its long-term net income and the number and quality of donors;
•Supervise the areas of Leadership Giving (Corporates, High Net worth Individuals and Foundations), IPD (Institutional Partnership Development); Individual Giving (incl. International Donor Services), External Communications and Strategy and Analysis in the region.
People Management responsibility
•Supervise the functional team of (FDC) co-workers in the region, managing the performance and ensuring the development of direct reports. Governance and Strategy.
- A University Degree in Business Development/Marketing or related filed preferred.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience with proven results in fundraising – experience in emerging markets would be an advantage
- .Experience in coaching, training and supporting fundraisers and communications staff
- Proven successful experience in managing teams, ideally including experience in managing staff at a distance and the ability to integrate distant working staff into the organization
- Experience in negotiation, liaison, and in relationship and conflict management
- Track record of building effective relationships at senior level with a wide range of individuals from politicians, the media and business community, both face to face and remotely.
- Good consulting, analytical and critical thinking skills, organized.
- Strategic thinking and planning
- People Management
- Communication & Costumer focus
- Technical competences in fundraising cycle
- Results orientation
- Self- and time management
- Positive, energetic self-starter with high level of personal drive and resilience.
- Technical skills in the complete fundraising cycle: e.g. market research, strategy development, budgeting, donor relationship management and analysis
- Senior leadership skills, ability to work in networks and ability to lead strategy processes effectively
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity
- Ability to lead and engage different stakeholders in planning processes and to set priorities
- Proven project management skills with a strong knowledge of budgeting
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong personal organizational and self-management skills
- MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Fluent in English with excellent writing and speaking skills and knowledge of at least another language Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees as Single Document.
Applications that are late, or do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. E-mail applications should bear the reference number of the position in the subject line of the email.
Email to: Applications including at least three traceable referees should be sent electronically to:ESAF.HROD@sos-kd.org
All applications should be submitted not later than 20 September 2017