FHI 360 is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) for an anticipated USAID-funded HIV and AIDS care and treatment project in South Africa. The Director, M&E will oversee the monitoring, evaluation, and research components of the project. He/she will be responsible for developing monitoring, evaluation, and reporting (MER) systems that include appropriate indicators, baseline data, targets, and a plan to evaluate performance and produce timely, accurate, and complete reporting. The Director, M&E directs and supervises M&E technical staff and consultants.
The position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa, and will report to the Chief of Party. Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Lead the design, development, planning, and implementation of project M&E technical strategies, including the development of the project’s Monitoring and Evaluation Plan; development and monitoring of project indicators; implementation of baseline, mid-term, and end-line studies; oversight of data collection, analysis, and reporting; and quality assurance and routine data quality audits
- Lead the design and implementation of the project’s research activities, including operations research, performance evaluations, impact evaluations, and rapid/special studies
- Lead efforts to identify key research questions and develop studies that test innovative strategies for addressing improving the quality and uptake of HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment services
- Lead the development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention-linked research and assessments; analyze data sets and technical assessment findings
- Work closely with the program team to ensure compatibility and coordination within the M&E framework, and consistency with national and donor requirements
- Responsible for providing technical assistance and developing and setting up systems for the timely collection, management, analysis, and reporting of valid and reliable data that meet donor reporting requirements
- Focus on strengthening the M&E system, building capacity of partners and staff, and improving alignment and support to host-country M&E systems
- Undertake periodic reviews of program and/or country M&E systems, and participate in planning M&E system strengthening actions; provide guidance on information systems for quality assurance, as well as best practices documentation and reporting
- Ensure research implementation adheres to FHI 360 and international policies and standards and remains technically and ethically sound; usher research protocols through FHI 360 Internal Review Board and national external review processes
- Monitor and maintain relevant protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials, and reports
- Oversee a team of monitoring, evaluation, and research staff for the project and ensure clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained amongst the team members
- Contribute to work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and other reports and papers summarizing project results and evidence
- Deliver presentations at professional meetings and conferences
- Master’s Degree or higher in monitoring and evaluation, public health, demography, health management, social science, biostatistics, statistics, or a related field
- At least 8 years of experience in monitoring, evaluation, and research efforts, preferably with respect to public health, and particularly in HIV/AIDS programming
- Demonstrated hands-on practical experience setting up and managing MER systems specific to HIV/AIDS care and treatment programs
- Demonstrated expertise in rigorous quantitative and qualitative research and analytical methods
- Strong quantitative or mixed-method and analytical skills and ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies
- Excellent report writing and analytical and communication skills, including oral presentation skills
- Strong skills using MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access, and at least one data management software program (SAS, SPSS); experience training others in their use is highly desirable
- Extensive experience in knowledge management and dissemination of research findings
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume work flow
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Closing date: 25 August 2017