Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: Energy, Agro-business, Industrialization, Integration and Improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The job of Department Assistant which falls under General Support Services that provides administrative support for the smooth running of the Department, ensures that the Director is freed from all tasks which could otherwise impede the efficient discharge of high duties and responsibilities.
Each Department has its unique functions but the Department assistant works more or less uniformly irrespective of the Departments to assure hitch-free operations within the office of the respective Directorate.
Accordingly, the Department Assistant’s job facilitates and contributes to the success of the Director in performing his/her role for the achievement of the High 5s.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline;
2. Training in secretarial Science and/or Administration and Office Management is advantageous;
3. Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant and practical experience in administrative and secretarial roles, in similar offices of international Organizations, Development Banks or similar institutions;
4. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
5. Good knowledge of administration and office support services, including systems and procedures;
6. Good coordination skills – methodical and self-organized;
7. Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception and administration service;
8. Good interpersonal, planning and organizational skills;
9. Ability to think quickly to respond to immediate requests;
10. Flexibility to adapt, positive attitude towards change, and a constructive and creative approach to problem solving;
11. Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopies, etc.);
13. Problem Solving;
14. Client Orientation;
15. Team working;
16. Operational Effectiveness;
17. Innovation and Creativity;
18. Attention to detail;
19. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
20. Bilingualism, knowledge of Arabic, Portuguese, etc. is an advantage;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
Closing date: 12 September 2017