CIVICUS is a global alliance of civil society organisations and activists dedicated to strengthening citizen action and civil society around the world. We strive to promote marginalised voices, especially from the Global South, and have members in more than 170 countries throughout the world. Since 1993, we have been dedicated to enhancing the rights, freedoms, health and vitality of civil society as a whole. We’re also a global team, using new technologies to connect us around the world.
- We work for civil society, protecting and growing `civic space’ – the freedoms of expression, association and assembly – that allow citizens and organisations to speak out, organise and take action.
- We monitor, research and analyse global events and trends that impact civil society.
- We strengthen civil society by bringing it together to generate and share knowledge, to improve its working and to act collectively.
- We work to ensure that civil society voices are heard. To achieve impact we communicate, campaign and advocate.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF JOB PURPOSE:
CIVICUS’ Fellows Programme is an exciting new venture in which professionals are placed with CIVICUS national/regional member organisations, for a period of 2 years. During this round, the fellow will be placed with RACI (Argentine Network for International Cooperation), based in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The primary aim of the programme is to promote knowledge exchange and learning, and build the capacity of both the host organisation and their members.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 2-3 years of work experience in research in social studies focusing on civil society sector
- Demonstrated commitment to civil society and citizen action
- Demonstrated or proven experience with research/training/institutional strengthening
- Written and verbal fluency in Spanish and English
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of global/regional dynamics and civil society issues, particularly Latin America
- Understanding of membership and networking principles
- Proven ability to work in a diverse, decentralised, and global environment
- Proven ability to team work, problem solve within a team, and adapt to different situations
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Willingness to travel
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS ROLE
1. Support the delivery of RACI key research projects
2. Strengthen institutional capacity of RACI
3. Knowledge exchange and learning
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Start date: anticipated to be August, starting with a 2-week induction in Johannesburg, South Africa
Duration: 24 months
Salary: US$ 36 000 annually
To apply please submit (in English or Spanish):
- A motivational letter answering the below questions (200 words max for each question)
o Please describe your experience working or living in a developing country or marginalized community, including where you were and what you did (professionally, academics or personally).
o You just disembarked from a 12-hour bus trip to a rural village to meet with community leaders. However, the person you are to meet at the bus station is not there. What do you do?
o How will you cope with working aboard for 2 years with limited visits to your friends and family?
- A detailed CV
- Contact details of three current references
to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11 August 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within 2 weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.